Thursday, April 9, 2015

Down on the Farm


This past weekend while we were home for Easter, my sister's family and us took a trip to the Hackman family farm. This farms was my grandparent's and is now owned and operated by my aunt and uncle. I have memories of this farm going back to my childhood having my first pet, playing hide and seek around the outbuildings, and running around the barn and milk room. It's been such a long time since I've been there and boy have things changed. With a larger operation working around the clock, advanced technology and faster and smarter equipment this farming thing isn't for everyone. 

On this farm are 1100 cows with several new ones being born almost daily, baby chicks and a few pigs. We had a chance to see a little of everything including cows being fed and milked, and we even witnessed a baby calf being born. So cool! My trip there certainly appreciates all farmers including my aunt Bonnie and uncle Dale a little more. 

Sullivan was so intrigued by everything and every animal. He loved petting the new baby calfs, the fresh fluffy baby chicks and the bulky show pigs. I've come to realize there isn't much that my little Sullivan is shy about. He got right up to the cows and wasn't afraid of any animal or noise. The tractors were pretty cool too. About the only thing Sullivan wouldn't do was hand milk a cow and I don't blame him, I'm not so sure I would have either. 

We will definitely be back for another visit, but next time, Sullivan will need chore clothes. He was dirty from head to toe, covered in hay, feed, and dirt! Thanks again for taking time out of your busy day to show us around and let us explore a little bit of the farm. 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...