Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Only in a small town in Iowa

Before we got too far away from my hometown we stopped at a little gas station in Spillville. According to my family they make great pizzas, be we just stopped for a couple of beverages. Little did I know when I walked into this place that they would sell something near and dear to my heart, Kolaches. 

Not too many people know about this yummy delicacy. Kolaches are Czech pastry pinwheels that have your favorite preservative inside. My favorite happens to be cherry, but you can also get apricot, prune, raspberry, and poppy seed. If you google Kolaches you will see mainly two different ways to make these, open faced and pinwheels. The correct and only way to make them is in a pinwheel. 

I remember when I was young help my mom and her church make dozens and dozens of these early in the morning for a yearly craft show. Still to this day, church ladies start the ovens and 5 am and go until 2 or 3 pm. The end result is a couple hundred dozens. 

If you are ever in the area of Spillville stop at the Mini Mart to get your self some, you will not be disappointed. Or at least get one a try.


The above photo is courtesy of nevereatsolo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...