Sunday, November 29, 2015

Bucket List Accomplishment

For a few years now, I've created an annual bucket list. Reflecting back on these, most of my year's lists have included two things I've yet to cross off. The first being a weekend getaway or small vacation of the husband and myself. So sad but since kids, we haven't really had that much alone time. In fact, I could probably count on both hands if not one hand the number of dates we've been on in the last 3 1/2 years. Next year we are approaching our 5 year wedding anniversary and you better believe my 2016 bucket list will yet again include a little getaway for Mike and I. 

The other item that's been on several year's bucket list is learning to make my grandmother's culverts. What are culverts you ask, well only the best thing in the entire world! Culverts are a coiled tube like pastry filled with a creamy vanilla custard. My grandmother has been making these for years and I'm not sure anyone in my family knows how to make them. These delightful treats are devoured in a hurry at Christmas. So this past Friday, instead of black Friday shopping, my sister, sister-in-law and a few cousins went over to my grandma's house to learn the ropes. 








My sweet grandma got up at 5:30 am to begin making the batches of dough. In total 4 batches of dough were made to create endless culverts. We started at 9 am and baked, filled, stored and cleaned up by 12:30. These treats take some time, they are by no means a 30 minute creation. It will be awhile before I tackle making them on my own, but I'm so happy I was there to learn from the best. It was a wonderful morning with family baking and having a few more people meet Jett.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...